Our Mission: The mission of JS Clark Leadership Academy (JSC-LA) is to provide an exceptional education to all students through Project-Based Learning enhanced by a technology-rich environment where there is a shared responsibility for school success among teachers, administrators, parents, community members, and students.
Moreover, our vision is to sustain an academic culture characterized by a rigorous and intellectually challenging curriculum with high standards that are culturally sensitive, and promote excellence that will prepare our graduates for college and beyond. Students will develop solid academic content knowledge and distinctive interdisciplinary skills in problem solving, communications, self-management, and teamwork. Students will receive extended instruction time in core subjects as well as tutoring or enrichment. JS Clark Leadership Academy students will do more than learn: They will LEAD. Students’ learning will become meaningful as they apply their content knowledge and skills to act on and resolve “real world” issues that will lead to strong leadership characteristics, values and self-confidence as part of building successful leaders.
The Need: Though JS Clark Leadership Academy is an open-enrollment charter school available to all public/private school students, we specifically focus our efforts to enroll students who are:
1) seeking motivation and inspiration in their learning environment where time is flexible in mastering academic skills,
2) frustrated or bored with the pace of learning in traditional classrooms that does not meet their individual cognitive needs,
3) seeking a safe environment that is focused on relationships and academics with trusted staff and community members,
4)“academically at-risk” - performing below grade level in at least one academic content area,
5) living in a home or community that is considered “at-risk,” because the family meets the qualifications for free or reduced lunch, or
6) attending a neighborhood public school that has been rated, in one of the previous three years, as “academically unacceptable.”
The Difference: At JS Clark Leadership Academy, the prevailing belief is that with hard work, high expectations, collaboration, committed teachers, and invested parents; all students are capable of achieving academic excellence and mastering essential skills needed for a productive life in the 21st Century. Fueling this conviction are six core values that guide the daily life and culture of JSC-LA:
· Blended model- master teachers and advanced technology for individualized instruction
· Creating strong bonds between students and teachers- teachers and graduation advisors that remain committed to students until and beyond their graduation from JS Clark Leadership Academy and share in the responsibility for school success.
· Personalization- personal attention and individualized learning that allows students to catch up, then accelerate
· Community centered and community driven-leverage every appropriate relationship available to kids: parents, grandmothers, aunts, volunteers, teachers, pastors, youth workers, and coaches
· Small classes- better teacher to student ratios for deeper personal relationships (knowing every student both academically and personally)
· Publicly funded- access to public funds for operations
· Superb leadership- meticulous hiring practices ensure the best-qualified people in management and academic leadership positions